Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 lbs escarole, cored and coarsely chopped (about 4 heads)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies packed in oil, drained, patted dry, and chopped
- Wash escarole well in a sinkful of water, then lift out and drain. Cook escarole in a 7- to 8-quart heavy pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Heat oil in same pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute.
- Add anchovies, then reduce heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until dissolved, about 1 minute. Add escarole, stirring to coat with oil, then increase heat to moderately high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until escarole is tender and most of liquid is evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt.
- Spoon onto a platter and drizzle with oil to taste.