Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh crabs are very common on the Gulf Coast. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 12 hard shell crabs or 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- Wash crabs; drop head first into rapidly boiling salted water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain water and open crabs; clean and reserve yellow fat.
- Pour lemon juice over crab meat.
- Melt butter and crab fat in a frying pan; add crab meat, seasonings and chopped pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes.