Recipe by mollypaul
Fresh crabs are very common on the Gulf Coast. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 12 hard shell crabs or 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash crabs; drop head first into rapidly boiling salted water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain water and open crabs; clean and reserve yellow fat.
- Pour lemon juice over crab meat.
- Melt butter and crab fat in a frying pan; add crab meat, seasonings and chopped pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes.