Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this on the NZ Woman's Weekly website. A modern take on an old vegetable.
- 1 large chayote (known in NZ as Choko)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Peel and quarter your choko, removing the hard, pithy seed in the middle. Slice lengthways so that you have long, thin slices.
- Melt the butter, then throw in the slices on a medium heat, turning to coat in the butter.Leave to saute, turning every so often. After about 15 to 20 minutes they will have browned like potato chips, and will be soft but not squishy.
- Put in a bowl and toss in lemon juice and finely chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper.