Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is delicious served over a bed of wide egg noodles.
- 6 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 10 white mushrooms, sliced
- 6 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, chopped
- 2 cups madeira wine
- 1 ounce morels or 1 ounce other dried mushroom, soaked in 3/4 cup hot water for 30 minutes, and chopped roughly
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch wide strips and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine in a medium mixing bowl with 2 T vegetable oil.
- Toss to coat.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Fry chicken strips until golden all over but pink inside, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- In same pan, add white mushrooms and shallots and cook over moderate heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add caraway seeds and carefully cook just until aroma is released, about 1 minute. (It's easy to burn the seeds).
- Remove from heat.
- Add Madeira and cook over high heat until reduced by half and stir in drained soaked mushrooms and cream.
- Reduce by about half, or until cream has thickened sauce to suit your taste.
- Reduce heat, stir in remaining seasonings, and return chicken and juices to pan to reheat.
- When sauce returns to a boil, remove from heat, and serve.
- Spoon chicken over a bed of wide egg noodles.
- Ladle on sauce and serve immediately.