Lorraine of AZ's Note:
This recipe was found in one of the movie fanzines of the 1940s. It was said to be a favorite of actress/pianist Diana Lynn, who usually played the friend of the star during that era. You have to like chicken livers to like this dish and my DH and I certainly do. It is a quick and easy meal, and I hope you enjoy it, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 small green pepper, slivered
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup vermouth or 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- hot cooked noodles
- paprika (to garnish)
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 1Clean the chicken livers by rinsing well, cutting each in half and removing all membranes and any fat. Pat dry.
- 2Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet. Saute livers, turning frequently, until light brown outside and just pink inside. (Or a little longer, if you like your livers well-done as my DH does.) Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- 3Stir-fry the onion and green pepper in same skillet until golden and tender. Add soup and vermouth to skillet and stir to blend. Heat until creamy and hot.
- 4Return livers to skillet. Cook and stir to combine and heat through.
- 5Serve over hot noodles, garnished with paprika and parsley as desired.
- 6Note: Mushrooms go well in this dish. You can add them in one of two ways. Saute approximately 1/4 to 1/3 pound sliced fresh mushrooms with the onion and green pepper. An easier way, if desired, is to add a 4-ounce can of drained mushrooms with the livers at the end of the recipe.
Browse Our Top Chicken Livers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauteed Chicken Livers
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.3
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 533.4 mg
- Sodium 745.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: