Recipe by evelyn/athens
An easy, tasty chicken dish with Mediterranean accents.
Top Review by sugarpea
Yum! This was sooo good! I had a difficult time though with the sauce separating, just couldn't get that butter swirled in without it breaking. That is definitely not the recipe's fault-that's the cook. Practice makes perfect... Next time I would double up on the rub ingredients. It was fantastic and I'd like to have a lot more of it on my chicken.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄4 cups drained chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 8 green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
- buttered orzo pasta or egg noodles or rice
Directions See How It's Made
- For chicken: Mix oregano, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture on both sides of chicken breasts.
- Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Melt butter with olive oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken and saute until golden-brown and just springy to touch, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to large platter, tent with foil to keep warm.
- For sauce: Melt 3 tblsps butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and saute 2 minutes.
- Add stock and olives and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour any juices accumulated in platter with chicken into sauce.
- Mix in chilled butter, a bit at a time, whisking, just until blended into sauce and sauce is glossy.
- Spoon over chicken,.