Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another Sara Moulton recipe that will be made with some of the MANY cherry tomatoes that have come out of my garden!!
- Puree the garlic in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade.
- Add onion and pulse 3-4 times, until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are softened, about 5 minute.
- Meanwhile, place 1 pint of the cherry tomatoes in the food processor bowl and pulse 3-4 times, until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining 2 pints of tomatoes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the onion and simmer, stirring frequently, until they form a sauce, about 15-20 minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with your favorite pasta or gnocchi.
MIne ended up like a onion tomato chutney. It was not very good.
Freeze 'em for winter sauces.
So, I neglected to cover the pot while the sauce was simmering, and ended up with a really thick almost-tomato-paste... oops! But it was still pretty tasty. Using cherry tomatoes gives the sauce a nice sweetness without using sugar. And if you happen to forget the lid, I stirred in a cup of tomato juice and all was saucy again. :) Thanks!