Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cabbage and Carrots are sauteed with fragrant ginger and garlic. This is usually served as a side dish to stews in Guyana and the Caribbean.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Heat canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add ginger and garlic, cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add carrots, cabbage, salt and black pepper; Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next add the vinegar and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Serve warm.
- Notes: I prefer the cabbage to be crisp but if you prefer it to be softer you can add about 1/4 vegetable or chicken stock, and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until it is the texture that you desire. If using stock, be sure to adjust the amount of salt in the dish since stocks do tend to have sodium.
We loved this with some added veggies. I only had a little cabbage. So I put diced red potatoes, zucchini, green onions, garlic salt, and a splash of soy sauce.
WOW. I cannot believe how amazingly flavorful and satisfying this dish is-not to mention inexpensive. I didn't even get the chance to add the vinegar or lemon (as some reviewers suggested) because my fiance was hovering over the pan, eating this straight from the skillet! My cabbage and carrots took about 7 min as another reviewer mentioned, and it was delightfully crunchy. <br/><br/>I used coconut oil, and served this with jasmine rice and a fried egg to top it all off... and kept a bottle of siracha on the table :) Perfection. <br/><br/>I will be making this once a week from now on- it is so versatile! Thanks for this amazing recipe!
Powder ginger works great in this recipe.