Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A healthy recipe from Chef MD (John La Puma, MD). Recipe published as Diabetic friendly in Walgreen's Diabetes and You. Sounds wonderful. They recommend serving this as a healthy holiday dish. States dietary exchanges are 2 vegetables, 1 lean meat and 2 fats.
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (best if toasted)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Trim off stem ends and thinly slice sprouts crosswise.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or saute pan over medium heat.
- Add sprouts, garlic, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth one tablespoon at a time and continue to cook until sprouts are crisp-tender (will take approx 8 minutes).
- Stir in walnuts and transfer to a serving dish and top with cheese.
Very tasty savoury brussels sprouts. I used left over cooked sprouts and just halved them for the recipe. They certainly got new life again.
Such a nice recipe for brussels sprouts. I added a little cayenne pepper along with the black pepper. Will make this one again for sure!
Love this method, have used many times with broccoli, but never brussels. I grew up on steamed brussels (yuk!), and due to that I never make them. This is such a refreshing change! I used walnut oil but didn't bother with the actual walnuts this time, and left out the parm. The other light flavours were perfect. If you're on the fence about trying this....you should!!!