Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A very simple dish from the Pacific. Often served with roasted pork or grilled meats.
- 3 tablespoons butter (or as needed) or 3 tablespoons margarine (or as needed)
- 6 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- Scrub the sweet potatoes. Place them in a large saucepan, cover with water, and simmer until soft (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 2-inch thick pieces. Set aside.
- Melt 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bananas and fry, turning often, until well coated and heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Add sweet potatoes, toss carefully to coat, and heat through, about 5 minutes.
I did cut this recipe in half for 2 of us, & then I steamed the sweet potatoes & left them unpeeled since we like the flavor & nutrition in that part! Also used a bit more than 2 tablespoons of butter, & when served, we thoroughly enjoyed this great dish just that way ~ No additional topping or seasoning! Definitely worth making again! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
I liked the flavor of this, but my bananas became mushy and the dishy turned into a banana mash with sweet potato chunks. I'd like to make this with plantains in the future, as the bananas didn't work for me :/
I needed a bit more butter than recipe says and I only cooked the bananas a total of 5 minutes. Served with whipped topping for daughter and cinnamon and sugar for the rest of us. We loved it. reviewed for ZWT7.