Recipe by jonesies
Serve these crunchy avocado slices as an appetizer with salsa, or with fish and tartar sauce. Half are coated with whole-wheat flour and the other hald with cornmeal.
Top Review by littleturtle
I followed the recipe except that I put orange juice on one of the avocado's instead of lime, just to see if it would make any difference; it tasted the same (lemon would probably be the same too if that's what you have on hand). These were very different, but pretty good. DS thinks they would make a good football snack. Thanks.
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 large avocados, firm and ripe
- 2 limes, juice of
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine whole-wheat flour and cumin on sheet of waxed paper.
- Combine cornmeal and chili powder on second sheet of waxed paper.
- Halve, peel, pit and slice avocados into 3/4 inch-thick slices.
- Sprinkle slices with lime juice.
- Dredge half the slices in flour mixture and half in cornmeal mixture.
- Dip slices into beaten eggs, then in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, pan-fry coated slices in hot oil about 15 seconds on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer with slotted spoon to a large platter lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm.