Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Arrugula, Garden Rocket, Gargeer, Rocket, Rocket Salad, Roka, Roquette, Rucola, Rugula, Salad Rocket and Tira what ever you want to call it is a bitter, aromatic green with a peppery mustard flavor. Topping with cheese will cut the bitterness.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup vermouth or 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano or parsley)
- 8 cups arugula, ripped into bite size pieces washed and spun dry
- grated cheese (optional)
- In a large pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic stirring all the while cooking about 4 minutes the pan will be dry till the mushrooms release some liquid.
- Deglaze the pan with vermouth.
- Add salt, pepper flakes, herbs, nutmeg and arugula. Cook till wilted about 2-3 minutes.
- Top with cheese.
Tasty. I made ours alcohol & intoxicant free using apple cider in place of the alcohol and allspice in place of the nutmeg. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil but did turn the heat down, vindalia onion in place of the red onion, sea salt, to taste, a little cayenne pepper powder in place of the chili pepper flakes, dried rosemary but would chose a different herb/herbs next time per preference, baby arugula, no cheese to be dairy free. DD (toddler) and I ate this as a snack enjoying the liquid left at the bottom as well, sopped up on rice cakes! (We are gluten free) Made for Veggie Swap 38 ~ September ~
This was a great recipe! I dislike arugula raw and a bag of it came in my local organic box. My hubby thought the dish was too salty so next time I will leave the salt out. I used the white wine and topped with mozzarella.
Winner. Will make often. Great to use up arugula and mushrooms. Had no vermouth or wine, so used a splash of white vinegar and it worked fine. Added dried thyme and good amount of nutmeg. Delicious!