Arrugula, Garden Rocket, Gargeer, Rocket, Rocket Salad, Roka, Roquette, Rucola, Rugula, Salad Rocket and Tira what ever you want to call it is a bitter, aromatic green with a peppery mustard flavor. Topping with cheese will cut the bitterness.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup vermouth or 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano or parsley)
- 8 cups arugula, ripped into bite size pieces washed and spun dry
- grated cheese (optional)
- In a large pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic stirring all the while cooking about 4 minutes the pan will be dry till the mushrooms release some liquid.
- Deglaze the pan with vermouth.
- Add salt, pepper flakes, herbs, nutmeg and arugula. Cook till wilted about 2-3 minutes.
- Top with cheese.