Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This spicy green is one of my favorites to toss on a salad, and I was craving something warm, so I decided to try sauteeing it in a healthy way--no oil! In just a couple minutes, I had a great warm topping to cover my lettuce and serve with other toppings. **Note: I am updating the recipe, as I think it deserves higher than the two stars it has gotten :( I have problems with onions (or my stomach thinks it does!), so I don't use them, but for those of you out there who want onions in the arugula, go for it! Here's a revised version of how to make the arugula, a bit more calorie-rich, but I'm sure many will find the taste improved. (Just for the record, I still like the greens without the onion and oil added, but I'm used to a blander diet.) Additional note: the original recipe, without the oil, onions and garlic, was 11 calories; I wouldn't worry about the onions and garlic, but you could definitely leave out the oil if you didn't want to add those extra calories.
- In frying pan, heat chicken broth and spices to boiling.
- After bringing to a boil, add the arugula, tossing gently to cover all with the broth.
- Let sit for a minute or two, stirring occasionally, until all leaves are wilted. (Additional broth may be needed to keep moist.).
- I found this to be a great salad topping, or fantastic on top of lumpy mashed potatoes.
- **For those who want a more flavor-rich side, try the following:.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil to the pan first; heat oil and cook 1/4 cup chopped (or sliced) onion and 1 teaspoons minced garlic until onions are tender. Then proceed with the broth, arugula and spices.
- I hope this is satisfying! :).
Thanks FoodExplorer for this recipe. I've never eaten sauteed arugula, and tried this out, with your new adjustments. Like most members here, I tend to "play with my food" and changed it just slightly. I substituted some vegetable bouillon for the chicken broth (we go meatless on fridays), and since I already used the fresh garlic and onion, I didn't see the need to add powdered onion and garlic. But this was SOOO tastey! I'll be making it again! Thanks. Imatrad
This was a lovely recipe. My husband doesn't care for arugula, and I'm six months pregnant and craving it, so I love to find new ways to prepare it. Thank you for the recipe. 32 calories is great with me!
I made the updated recipe and my partner and I loved it! Instead of using onions and garlic shallots sauteed in evoo was substituted. We had it with boiled baby carrots and black cod marinated in evoo and lemon and pepper seasoning =P~