Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple yet elegant ending to a fine meal. Originally from a September 1978 issue of Bon Apetit that featured fall fruit desserts.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, heated
- 1 cup milk, heated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 8 golden delicious apples, peeled and thickly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- For Sauce:.
- Combine yolks, cream,milk and sugar in top of double boiler set over simmering water.
- Cook, stirring frequently,until sauce thickens and coats spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum and vanilla.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.
- For apples:.
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients except nutmeg and saute over medium heat until apples are soft but not falling apart, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add nutmeg, transfer to serving bowls, and serve warm with chilled sauce.