Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this recipe on the internet after my husband saw something alot like it on a tv show about traditional pilgrim food. I just made it and it is really good! from: Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker, New York: Plume, 1997. p. 130.
- 4 cups cubed tart cooking apples
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Pare and core the apples. Cut them into cubes. There should be about 4 cups.
- Saute bacon in a heavy skillet. Remove the bacon when crisp. Keep it hot. Leave about 2 tablespoons of fat in the skillet.
- Add the oil. Add the apples. Saute uncovered over high heat until translucent.
- Sprinkle with the sugar.
- Place apples on a hot platter. Surround them with the bacon.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.