Recipe by Wilmom
In my growing up years, serving this dish meant that autumn had certainly arrived! Mom served these "fried apples", with their delicious cinnamon flavor, alongside hot buttered biscuits, and freshly ground homemade sausage. Yumm!! It also is a delicious accompaniment with meats at other meals, particularly ham or pork.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was a delicious quick and light breakfast this morning. It tasted like a hot apple pie without the crust, and my kids really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Wilmom. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, melt butter (If your butter browns a bit, don't get excited! This gives an even better flavor.
- Add sliced, unpeeled apples, cover, and saute, stirring frequently.
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. (Sometimes, for a taste difference, I also throw in 1/2 cup chopped pecans, at this point).
- When apples are just barely starting to get tender, stir in sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Continue cooking until sugar has dissolved into syrup.
- Serve with hot buttered biscuits and sausage on the side; or alongside ham or pork.