Recipe by CountryLady
While the red pepper adds colour, the beans & scapes are look alikes that fill this dish with taste surprises! Serve with sauteed or grilled poultry or meat.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I had saved this recipe when I got garlic scapes from my CSA box and finally got fresh beans. This turned out quite good. I did add spring onions and didn't have the red pepper. I am not a big fan of balsamaic vinegar, so I sprinkled it on and let it cook, uncovered a little while longer, and that turned out fine. Will save this for next year's garlic scapes.
- 8 ounces green beans
- 6 ounces garlic scapes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- salt, & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Top& tail green beans.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add beans& blanch for 2 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain& refresh with cold water until beans are cold.
- Trim garlic scapes& remove any seed pods.
- Cut into pieces about the same length as the beans.
- Blanch for 1 2 minutes; drain& refresh with cold water.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat; add scapes& saute for 2 minutes.
- Add beans& red peppers.
- Toss together, cover skillet& cook for 2 minutes longer or until scapes are crisp-tender.
- Uncover& season with salt, pepper& balsamic vinegar.