Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Gruyere Swiss cheese adds a wonderful nutty sophistication to this simple dish. Gruyere is on the expensive side, but you don't end up needing as much because the flavor is more concentrated. You can substitute another Swiss cheese if you like. The trick to keeping the zucchini from getting soggy and overcooked, is to sauté it quickly in a rather hot pan.
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced (about 4 small zucchini or 1 large, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 ounces gruyere swiss cheese, sliced thin (can substitute other Swiss)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan on fairly high heat. (An anodized aluminum pan works well for this purpose because it is stick resistant yet can handle high heat.).
- Coat the bottom of the pan with the oil, adding more if needed.
- When the pan is hot, add the zucchini and onions.
- Spread out along the bottom of the pan.
- Cook quickly on high heat, stirring frequently, until all zucchini pieces are a little browned at least on one side (about 2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Halfway through the cooking, add the garlic and the herbs.
- If there is any sticking to the pan, add a little more oil.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place slices of cheese over the zucchini in a single layer.
- Cover the pan. Let sit for a few minutes, until the cheese is just melted. Remove the zucchini to a serving dish. Serve immediately.
I great way to spruce up zucchini! Loved the cheese over the top and the onions added a nice sweetness. Made for ZWT 7.
I reduce the recipe just a bit and really enjoyed the lovely cheese over the top. A nice way to eat zucchini!
You're right! The gruyere does have a wonderful nutty flavor. I really enjoyed this! I did reduce the tarragon and basil, because I wanted the taste of the zucchini to come through. Absolutely loved the gruyere, but I'd really slice it thin. Otherwise it overwhelms the zucchini. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT7.