Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Side dish from Isa Moskowitz's "Vegan With a Vengeance."
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat sauté the garlic in the olive oil for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, oregano, salt, salt and pepper, and sauté until the mushrooms begin to release moisture, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and turn the heat up a bit, bringing to a low boil. Simmer for about a minute.
- Add the white wine and green beans; cover and simmer for about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook for about 3 more minutes or until desired tenderness is reached.
This was very easy and quite tasty. I used the refrigerated minced garlic, browning it in the oil as directed. I did add 1 minute to the wine and bean saute time and then I cooked an additional 2 minutes after the cover was removed to reach the doneness that we like and to absorb the excess liquid. I added about 1/2 of a chopped red bell pepper when I removed the lid, just because I needed to use it up. It was a nice addition for flavor as well as presentation. I paired nicely with grilled pesto salmon and red potatoes topped with a butter and green onion sauce.
Thank you Emily. This was very good. I sauteed the beans after the mushrooms and garlic, and added the liquid last. Other than that, I followed the recipe. We both thought it deserved 5 stars, and a friend who came by thought so too. It was fast and easy to fix. Made for Fall PAC 2008.