Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
In the Sephardic tradition, carrots with almonds is a delicious side dish and we like it as an accompaniment to the Thanksgiving meal. From Vegetarian Celebration: Menus for Holidays and Other Festive Occasions.
- In a large skillet heat the pan on medium heat.
- Add the butter and melt. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Next add the oil.
- Saute the carrots, stirring frequently until they start to turn golden and are crisp-tender about 10-12 minutes.
- Do not allow the skillet to turn dry- adding a little apple juice if necessary.
- When the carrots are crisp-tender add the remaining apple juice and saute mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Finally, stir in the lemon juice, chives, toasted almonds, salt and white pepper.
Umm sorry to mess too but I used fresh garlic instead of garlic chives like another reviewer. I did however do it correctly on the stove top! I used sweet (unsalted) butter, canola oil (yes I wish there was an alternative), about 1 tbs organic apple cider vinegar and water in place of the liquid, blanched slivered almonds I toasted in a dry pan, sea salt, plus the rest of the ingredients. Served along side Beef Stew in Berbere Sauce and Fragrant Apricot Rice. Made for APRIL/MAY 2012 NA/ME TAG!
I admit to seriously messing with this lovely dish, mainly due to running late and being very lazy! I microwaved the carrots for a couple of minutes, then sauteed with some garlic, salt, pepper, the almonds and some white wine til the liquid was gone - very nice! I promise I'll try it the right way sometime with the proper ingredients!