Recipe by COOKGIRl
In the Sephardic tradition, carrots with almonds is a delicious side dish and we like it as an accompaniment to the Thanksgiving meal. From Vegetarian Celebration: Menus for Holidays and Other Festive Occasions.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Umm sorry to mess too but I used fresh garlic instead of garlic chives like another reviewer. I did however do it correctly on the stove top! I used sweet (unsalted) butter, canola oil (yes I wish there was an alternative), about 1 tbs organic apple cider vinegar and water in place of the liquid, blanched slivered almonds I toasted in a dry pan, sea salt, plus the rest of the ingredients. Served along side recipe#163140 and recipe#116485. Made for APRIL/MAY 2012 NA/ME TAG!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon bland oil
- 1 lb fresh carrot, peeled, thinly sliced into matchsticks (the best quality carrots you can find)
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (or apple cider)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic chives
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat the pan on medium heat.
- Add the butter and melt. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Next add the oil.
- Saute the carrots, stirring frequently until they start to turn golden and are crisp-tender about 10-12 minutes.
- Do not allow the skillet to turn dry- adding a little apple juice if necessary.
- When the carrots are crisp-tender add the remaining apple juice and saute mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Finally, stir in the lemon juice, chives, toasted almonds, salt and white pepper.