Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spices of the World Cookbook by McCormick. Copyright 1964.
- 2 large tart apples
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- Peel, core and chop apples. Melt butter; add apples, cabbage, onions, season all and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and cayenne; add to cabbage.
- Cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in nuts or sprinkle over the top.
- Even better reheated.