Prep 13 mins
Cook 17 mins
This recipe just caught my eye while I was reading Cooking Light, Sept/07, issue. Have taken the liberty of adding some toasted almonds and crushed red pepper flakes to an otherwise wonderful recipe. It was awesome! UPDATE: Made this again & had no almonds but did have cashews, so I used them and they were even better! 09/15/07
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and shallots to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Stir in sherry; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli and salt to pan; stir well.
- Stir in broth & red pepper flakes; bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Stir in black pepper, if using, and toasted slivered almonds or toasted cashews.
A really nice combination of flavors. I substituted red onion for the shallots. The broccoli florets were frozen. I did sprinkle lightly with sliced almonds.
Great flavours! I didn't quite have enough mushrooms so I added abit of chopped red bell peppers. And, instead of red pepper flakes I added essence spice. Not a fan of nuts in my meals so didn't add them. Sometimes I add chopped waterchestnuts in place of nuts for the crunch, I'll try that next time. Absolutely loved this dish, thanks for sharing.
Loved it! Nice to have a recipe that combines two of our favorite vegetables. Thanks for adding the red pepper flakes; I loved the zing this added. I left the almonds out, out of concerns for calories and fat ... and I ended up leaving out the chicken broth, because there was so much liquid left from the mushrooms and sherry that I felt I didn't need it. (I used cremini mushrooms.) Lovely -- thanks for posting this!