Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A quick and healthy breakfast, or an after dinner dessert with 2 scoops of low fat ice-cream!
- 8 tart green apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small chunks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 3⁄4 cup granola cereal
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the apples and cook, stirring often, until golden brown and beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the maple or agave syrup and continue cooking until the apples are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Divide the hot apples among eight bowls. Sprinkle the granola and a few dried cranberries over the top of each serving.
Wholesome, wholesome, wholesome goodness!!! My kids loved this for breakfast, and I felt good about serving it. I loved the fact that it was easy and fast, qualities required on a tight school schedule. I used an apple-peeler-corer to speed the process and halved the amount of apples used, since there is only three of us. I did use 2T of pure maple syrup (no high frutose corn syrup for this bunch) cause we like syrup! I didn't measure the granola or the dried fruit (no time for perfection). I just made mine look like the picture. I also served milk and whole wheat toast. Thank you for sharing; you helped me feel like I deserve the title "Mom".