1/4 Photos of Sausages With Mashed Potatoes, Beer and Onion Gravy and Mustard
1 hr 30 mins
Bangers and Mash British Style! Taken from Rick Stein's Recipe. See original here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/sausageswithmashedpo_757.shtml
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the gravy
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, sliced thinly
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 2 1/4 cups brown ale
- 2 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
For the mashed potatoes
- 1To make the beer and onion gravy, heat the oil and the butter in a large, heavy based saucepan.
- 2Add the onions and sugar and cook over a low heat for 45 minutes, stirring now and then, until soft and richly caramelised.
- 3Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 4Stir in the beer, beef broth, star anise, cloves and bay leaves and boil vigorously until reduced to a rich, glossy sauce - about 20 minutes in a large sauté pan.
- 5Remove the star anise, bayleaves and cloves (if you can find them) from the gravy and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- 6For the sausages and mashed potato, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes until soft.
- 7Then after about 10 minutes, heat the oil for the sausages in a large frying pan.
- 8Add the sausages and fry them over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, turning now and then, until nicely browned and cooked through.
- 9Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth - a potato ricer does this really well.
- 10Beat in the butter with some seasoning and enough milk to make a smooth, creamy mash.
- 11Spoon the mashed potatoes onto warmed plates and rest the sausages alongside.
- 12Pour over some of the gravy and serve with a good spoonful of English mustard.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausages With Mashed Potatoes, Beer and Onion Gravy and Mustard
Serving Size: 1 (769 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1080.1
- Calories from Fat 702
- Total Fat 78.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.8 g
- Cholesterol 190.7 mg
- Sodium 1950.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: