Recipe by Bergy
I had some hot Italian sausage and wanted something satisfying but easy & fast - I saw my Mushrooms & Peppers played with it and came up wi th this recipe. Bratwurst will work if you don't want it too spicy or any other of your favorite sausages. Add or take away some of the heat - A recipe is only a starting point to satisfy your taste buds. I simmer the sausages in water or beer first to remove any fat - it is not essential to do this. Hope you enjoy it.
- 3 Italian sausages
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
- 3⁄4 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup mixed colored bell peppers or 1 cup red pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 3 fresh garlic cloves or 3 teaspoons minced dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (or less)
- 1 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine or 3 tablespoons water
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick the sausages and simmer in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile fry the chopped bacon in a large skillet until it is half cooked, remove, drain on paper towel, remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon grease from the pan.
- Add onions an saute over medium high heat until they are transparent, add mushrooms.Saute 5 minutes.
- Drain the sausages and cut into bite size pieces.
- Add sausages to the pan turn heat to medium and continue cooking until the sausage is well browned and the onions & mushrooms are golden.
- Add oregano, garlic & chili flakes. mix well.
- Add bacon, peppers & Tomatoes. Only cook until they are heated through about 6 minutes.
- Add wine (water) and allow to steam for 2 minutes.