Recipe by CountryLady
I've been making this dish for years & finally got around to posting! I prefer Tomato Basil Sausages from our local butcher but I've also used Italian (hot or sweet) and Octoberfest sausages. Just don't use those skinny little breakfast links. The "sauce" is delicious with plain steamed rice!
Top Review by Neever
Quick, tasty and easy. I used red bell peppers and green peppers that are known as "Italian" peppers around here. I also used local sausage, longaniza, and was too lazy to go and buy tomatoes so I used a bit more tomato sauce! I also cooked the sauce for quite a long time, as I don't like my cooked peppers in any way hard. The sauce would be lovely, as CountryLady said, by itself, or even with veggie sausages.
- 2 lbs sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick sausages in several spots& simmer in a skillet of boiling salted water for 10 minutes; drain& slice lengthwise in half.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, brown sausages& finish cooking (about 5 minutes), remove from skillet& keep warm.
- Add onions, peppers& garlic to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes& cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until veggies are cooked to your liking.
- Stir in tomato sauce, return sausages to skillet, season to taste& cook for an additional 5 minutes.