Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have a weakness for pasta, but decided it was time to be more conscious of what I was eating. This is the product of that experimentation. The best part of this recipe is that you use the same pan for everything but the noodles. Who doesn't love easy clean up? This makes a good six to eight servings depending on how many big eaters you have in your family. If you half the recipe, keep the tomato, spinach and zucchini the same and half all other ingredients. Also, if you don't like spice omit the crushed red pepper.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 141.74 g fresh spinach (I buy the pre-washed and ready to eat spinach)
- 1 medium zucchini (chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 680.38 g Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (1 teaspoon if you like it hot!)
- 425.24 g can Italian stewed tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 354.88 ml fat-free half-and-half
- 340.19 g whole wheat penne (or pasta of your choice)
- In a large 12 inch deep fry pan or skillet, cook spinach and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook until spinach is wilted (approximately 5 minutes).
- Transfer spinach to cutting board to cool. When cool, chop spinach.
- In hot skillet, add the other tablespoon olive oil.
- Add chopped zucchini.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Set zucchini aside.
- Turn heat to medium high.
- Add sausage and crushed red pepper.
- Cook until browned (about 7 minutes). Drain if you like; I don't because turkey sausage is generally pretty lean.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, and half and half.
- Cook on medium high for ten minutes; reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, boil water and cook pasta.
- Drain pasta (do not rinse) and add to sausage mixture.
- Cook on low for about five minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
This was a very tasty and different pasta dish. I saved this recipe to try as soon as I saw it because I love all of the ingredients in it. I also love a meal completely made in a skillet! The only change I made was using canned diced tomatoes instead of stewed since that's what I had on hand. We also enjoyed grated parmesan cheese on top. I'm looking forward to the leftovers! Thank you for posting.