I have a weakness for pasta, but decided it was time to be more conscious of what I was eating. This is the product of that experimentation. The best part of this recipe is that you use the same pan for everything but the noodles. Who doesn't love easy clean up? This makes a good six to eight servings depending on how many big eaters you have in your family. If you half the recipe, keep the tomato, spinach and zucchini the same and half all other ingredients. Also, if you don't like spice omit the crushed red pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 5 ounces fresh spinach (I buy the pre-washed and ready to eat spinach)
- 1 medium zucchini (chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (1 teaspoon if you like it hot!)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne (or pasta of your choice)
- 1In a large 12 inch deep fry pan or skillet, cook spinach and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook until spinach is wilted (approximately 5 minutes).
- 2Transfer spinach to cutting board to cool. When cool, chop spinach.
- 3In hot skillet, add the other tablespoon olive oil.
- 4Add chopped zucchini.
- 5Salt and pepper, to taste.
- 6Cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Set zucchini aside.
- 7Turn heat to medium high.
- 8Add sausage and crushed red pepper.
- 9Cook until browned (about 7 minutes). Drain if you like; I don't because turkey sausage is generally pretty lean.
- 10Add tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, and half and half.
- 11Cook on medium high for ten minutes; reduce heat to low.
- 12Meanwhile, boil water and cook pasta.
- 13Drain pasta (do not rinse) and add to sausage mixture.
- 14Cook on low for about five minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage, Zucchini, Spinach and Tomato Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.8
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 1325.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 28.8 g