Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Quite a tasty bean dish, you can use baby shells in place of the macaroni. This dish tastes even better the next day, so you might want to consider making it a day ahead. You can use 1 cup fresh basil in place of dry.
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 large hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1 (6 ounce) package baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, garlic, dryed basil, oregano and jalapeno pepper (if using) saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and Italian sausage meat; cook (breaking up with a fork) for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in red pepper flakes to taste.
- Add in tomatoes with juice, broth, beans; mix to combine and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add in uncooked macaroni pasta and cook until firm-tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add in baby spinach, and cook until just wilted, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).
- Add in 1/3 - 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.
- Top with more grated Parmesan cheese.
It was kind of chilly and rainy here yesterday so I though this might fill the bill for a new warming dish. Was I right!! Everyone loved it and DH took the rest for lunch today. Served it with crusty hot whole wheat rolls and a green side salad. Thanks so much for posting it!!!!