1/3 Photos of Sausage Water Chestnut Dressing/Stuffing
This stuffing has been a never fail for me, Everyone likes it. Left overs are usually fried for breakfast the next day or used for stuffing and turkey sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 large Spanish onions or 1 large walla walla onion, medium chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped with leaves
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 10 -12 cups dried, cubed sourdough bread or 10 -12 cups dried, cubed French bread, rolled and crushed to medium crumbs
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives (optional)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, undrained
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored and chopped
- salt and pepper
- poultry seasoning
- 1Heat and spray with veggy oil a heavy large frypan.
- 2scramble fry pork, onions, celery and garlic until onions are transparent.
- 3Set aside, do not drain.
- 4In a very large bowl, place bread crumbs, parsley and chives, if using.
- 5Mix well.
- 6Add water chestnuts with water, apple, salt and pepper. (I usually add one can of chestnuts with water and add the chestnuts only of the second can adding more water only if needed, a bit at a time.)
- 7Mix well.
- 8Add pork and onion mixture with juice from pan.
- 9Mix well.
- 10Add poultry seasoning a tablespoon at a time, taste and add more poultry seasoning until the taste is to your liking, make it as spicy as you wish.
- 11Refrigerate until ready to stuff turkey.
- 12Pack cavities firmly but not tight.
- 13Any stuffing left can be cooked in a casserole in the oven with the bird, or freeze and use another time.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Water Chestnut Dressing/Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.0
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 32.6 mg
- Sodium 40.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 8.5 g