Recipe by SusieQusie
I don't now where I got this recipe but I'm sure I saved it because it puts a combination of some of my favorite ingredients in my favorite presentation - a one pot meal!
Top Review by Pobrooke
Yum Yum! This was delicious and a good way to use the okra we had rather than frying. I used hot sausage and that gave it an extra kick, which I loved but was a little too hot for the hubby! Will definitely be making this one again.
- 453.59 g bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (850.48 g) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 2.46 ml dried thyme leaves
- 283.49 g package frozen okra, thawed (NOT breaded okra!)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 354.88 ml self-rising cornmeal (see Self-Rising Cornmeal)
- 4.92 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet, crumble sausage and cook till well browned, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Pour off excess fat, leaving a scant amount (1 teaspoon or so).
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic to browned sausage. Cook until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in peas, tomatoes and thyme. Cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in okra.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Make topping:.
- Either: Mix up 2 packages of your favorite packaged brand.
- Or: Combine the listed topping ingredients in a medium boml. Stir until smooth. Don't overbeat.
- Spoon topping into pan around edges of sausage mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.