Recipe by CindiJ
I found this recipe in one of my mother's magazines Reminisce and thought this sounded really good. During our watching over Dad in his final days, I decided to make this and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and good this soup was. While for 2 people, this can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a family.
Top Review by Marie Nixon
Once this was done cooking, I was not expecting much taste-wise from it. It is not a real pretty soup. BUT... once I tasted it, I was pleasantly surprised. It is delicious! The Italian sausage and the sprinkling of parmesan cheese provide most of the great flavor. It is nice to find a soup recipe that serves 2. I will definitely make this again.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 3⁄4 cup refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain well. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking until onions are tender.
- Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil and add spinach and tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and enjoy a great bowl of soup!