Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I wanted to make some soup on a cold day, but was tired of plain tomato or vegetable soup. So I played around with a few ingredients and came up with this. Hope you like it. I know I do. Oh and feel free to use some diced onion instead of the minced, but my dh can't handle fresh onion so i have to use the other. Sometimes i'll throw in some chopped cabbage too.
- 1 lb reduced-fat sausage
- 1 (32 ounce) box low-fat chicken broth or 1 (32 ounce) box low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper celery and onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium-high heat with minced garlic and minced onion.
- Pour in the chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to get up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, pepper, and mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to low/medium low and let simmer for at least 30 minutes, but the longer you let it cook, the better flavor it will have.
- Add the tortellini and let cook through, about 10 minutes (I use frozen tortellini so it takes longer, but would be shorter if you use fresh or refrigerated).
- Serve and enjoy.
Really yummy soup! I didn't have tomatoes with green pepper and celery, so added those separately. Also used tri-color dried tortellini which worked nicely. Thanks for sharing this nice simple keeper. Made for Best of 2012 Tag.
This is a great soup and I like that it doesn't have to simmer for hours. I made 1/2 the recipe for DH and I and it was plenty, with a bowl left for lunch. Made with sliced roma tomatoes with basil ans also sliced baby Bella mushrooms. Going into my Best of Cookbook! Made for Fall PAC 2012.
This was a tasty, easy meal. I thought it needed a little more "something" - diced fresh onion, or peppers like starrynews added.