Recipe by Ma Field
A wonderful combination of rich alfredo sauce and three cheese tortellini -with veggies and Italian sausage to make matters worse (or better!). This is not for the faint of heart for calories, but that's why they invented the "just a garden salad for me" lunch! :) This recipe looks fancy enough for company but uses pre-made sauces and pasta for convenience. I have used Buitoni refrigerated pasta and sauce as well as those listed in the recipe. Using homemade versions could only make it tastier!
Top Review by HealRacMT
This is simple and delicious. I didn't have mushrooms, so I used yellow squash zucchini and it was wonderful. Instead of buying a can of alfredo, I just made some (cream, garlic and parmesan). I found that this could use a bit more kick and so I added about 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper at the end. Both my husband and our friends that were over all voted to have this again!
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced in 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced in 1/4-inch strips
- black pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- 12 ounces prepared alfredo sauce, such as Ragu
- 16 ounces prepared tortellini, such as Bertolli
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain and hold warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, break up Italian sausage and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add alfredo sauce and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until flavors are well blended, or until you can't wait any longer. (try to hold out at least 10 minutes).
- Add drained pasta to skillet and stir well to combine. Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.