Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From a funny book - The Sweet Potato Queens' Big A$$ Cookbook. I've left the instructions as written but have included actual measurements of the ingredients.
- 1 lb pork sausage, sliced into patties
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, drained
- Cook sausage patties in a black cast iron skillet till done, obviously. Then remove the sausage and put it on some paper towels to blot up some of the grease.
- Drain grease from pan leaving only enough to coat the bottom (about 2 tablespoons), add a handful of flour (3 tablespoons will do) to the grease and cook it, stirring ALL the time, till it turns brown.
- Add the milk to the browned flour and stir till all the lumps are gone and it's thick. Add the drained Ro-Tel tomatoes and stir till it's the consistency that you like. (add more milk if it's too thick).
- Crumble up the sausage and add back to the gravy then spoon it over hot biscuits.
- Then turn around and slap the person next to you on account of it's so good you just have to slap somebody!
We were a bit torn on this recipe. I think the idea for it is a really good one but for my family's tastes the Rotel just didn't work for breakfast. I might try it again sometime with Italian tomatoes & see if that suits us better. The change from plain old sausage gravy was really welcome though. Thank you for sharing, Susie!