Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this casserole! Although it's called a supper dish, it works beautifully for breakfast, too. It freezes well and you can get a head start by using leftover rice.
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine crumbs and butter. Press half of mixture into bottom of dish.
- Brown sausage in a skillet. Drain fat and layer over crumb crst. Spoon rice over sausage.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, stir milk and soup until warm (not boiling!). Stir in egs and cheese and cook until cheese is melted. Pour into dish. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top. Bake for 45 minutes.
This was really good. I changed it up a little though. I used biscuit dough instead of cornflakes and colbyjack instead of cheddar because that is what I had on hand, and I skipped the rice. I am going to tinker with this to make it less fattening - like using egg beats and 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup.