Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from my MIL, Joyce. Good stuff!
- 3 shallots, chopped fine
- 1 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb sausage
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 bay leaf, finely crushed
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 cups dried bread, cubes
- 3⁄4-1 cup chicken broth
- Brown sausage, remove from pan.
- Add butter to pan drippings and saute celery and onion till soft.
- Combine sausage, onion, celery, herbs, and bread cubes in a bowl and add broth till stuffing is moistened.
- Stuff bird or fill casserole dish (if baking in dish bake covered at 325* for 40-45 minutes).
- Recipe doubles well, in fact, I usually double it- we love stuffing!
We had to modify this a little bit for our Christmas dinner since every grocery store was out of dried bread cubes, so we used 1 box of Mrs. Cubbison's mix instead. It was very good, and we'll be making this one again! Thanks!
This was outstanding! I also replaced the shallot with onion - all I had - and used 6 slices of Italian bread, which was more than enough. The herb blend was good and did not overpower the stuffing. Thank you for a wonderful recipe.
Tried this one out this year for something different. Family really enjoyed it. I used Jimmy Deans hot sausage. The only thing I added was chopped mushrooms. Will make this again. Thanks!