Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe many years ago from my sister-in-law Susan. It is by far my family's favourite stuffing recipe. It can be cooked inside or outside the bird. I usually cook it separately, divided between 2 corning ware pans for about an hour at 350 F or until done. While I never paid much attention to how big a bird it will fill, the recipe says it is enough for a 12-15 pound turkey. Prep time is an estimate. I usually cook the sausage, rice and onion the day before I need it and then just assemble on the day required.
- 6 cups bread cubes (I just use a whole loaf of white bread)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Season-All salt (I usually leave it out)
- 1 lb pork sausage (in the tube)
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, canned and drained
- 2 cups rice, cooked (I use long grain)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, seedless
- 1⁄4 cup instant minced onion (I use 1 small onion, cooked)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Cook sausage, crumble and drain. I usually leave a little fat in for flavour.
- Mix all remaining ingredients.
- If you like your stuffing sweet, then you can add extra raisins.
- If the stuffing seems to dry, add an extra egg or two.
- This is supposed to stuff a 12-15 pound turkey.