Recipe by Cookin' in NJ
This is my Mom's family recipe for sausage stuffing made during the holidays. It's my favorite stuffing recipe and I continue to make it every year. It's a little work but well worth it!!!!
- 2 lbs ground sausage
- 3 loaves stuffing bread (day-old)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 eggs
- milk, enough to soak the bread
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon bells seasoning
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread into 1" cubes and place in a very large bowl.
- Cover with enough milk to make soggy and mix well, then add eggs and mix well. Set aside to soak.
- In a large pot, crumble sausage and saute.
- Chop onions and celery in a food processor.
- When there is enough fat cooked out of the sausage to cover the bottom of the pan add onions and celery.
- Cook until sausage is cooked through and veggies are par cooked.
- Add mushrooms with the liquid to the pot.
- Add bread mixture and stir well to blend together.
- Add Bells seasoning, salt, pepper and celery seed.
- Continue stirring as it cooks to prevent sticking to pot and ensure it's all heated through to cook the eggs.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- At this point my family stuffs the mixture into the bird. You can opt to do this or serve unstuffed.