Recipe by SLColman
This is the sausage stuffing that my family has made for years only adapted for my sage loving husband. If you aren't a real fan of sage then use regular instead of sage sausage and only use 1 tsp chopped fresh sage and 1 tsp chopped fresh poultry seasonings. If you like summer squash and zucchini it is a wonderful addition.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (poultry seasoning herbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb sage sausage, browned and drained
- 3 eggs
- 8 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
Directions See How It's Made
- Add onions, celery, mushrooms, sage, poultry seasoning, 1 stick of butter and chicken stock to a pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine stuffing mix, browned sausage, and all of the vegetables but not all of the stock. Mix lightly. Add the eggs and continue to add the stock until the stuffing comes together.
- Lightly spray a large oven proof bowl with cooking spray. Loosely spoon the stuffing into the bowl, do not pack in tightly. Dot the top with the remaining 2 tbs of butter.
- Bake at 350 (or whatever temp your other items need to cook at) for 1 hour or until the stuffing reaches an internal temperature of 180 and the top is lightly browned and slightly crisp. If you prefer a moister stuffing then cover with foil for the majority of the cooking and leave uncovered for the last 30 minutes.