Recipe by P4
I really love this recipe. I like to use smallish zucchini, because the large ones are just too tough. This filling is also very good for stuffed mushrooms or peppers or filo bites or whatever else you like.
Top Review by Caroline Cooks
This was a good stuffed zucchini recipe; however, I think it needs some more herbs to boost its flavor. I did sub garlic chives for the shallots--which helped somewhat. Only used Zucchini for this.
- 5 medium zucchini (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- kosher salt
- 5 medium yellow squash (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large shallots, minced fine
- 1⁄2 lb white mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from it casing
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut 4 of the zucchini and 4 of the yellow squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Sprinkle with the kosher salt and set them upsdide down on paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the remaining 2 squash.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare sheet pan by very lightly greasing it.
- Get out your food processor.
- Heat 1 tbl of the olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add the shallots and cook until translucent but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and 1/2 tsp of salt (approx.).
- Raise the heat to moderately high and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms begin to brown and the liquid they give off is evaporated- about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Saute the chopped zucchini and yellow squash with more olive oil and another 1/2 tsp salt, cooking until light brown and no more liquid is in the pan.
- Add to the mushrooms.
- Add the sausage to the pan and saute until brown.
- Transfer the sausage to the food processor and process until very fine.
- Add to the rest of the ingredients, add the breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley and mix well.
- Taste and season with additional S&P if needed.
- Fill the zucchini and squash shells, sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Add about 3 tbl of water to the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with a rice pilaf.