Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
This recipe from the Oct./Nov. 2006 TOH is a little different from the others I see listed. I think the addition of cheese and apples make it an interesting combo. Although I haven't tried it yet, I think it's a perfect addition to my "Cooking for 2" cookbook.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup Velveeta cheese, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds.
- Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the sausage, celery if desired and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add apple; cook and stir for 3 minutes; Drain,
- In a bowl, combine the flour, egg and sour cream until smooth; stir into sausage mixture.
- Turn squash over; sprinkle cut sides with salt.
- Stuff with sausage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.