Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the book, Heart of the Palms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs ground hot Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) package rigatoni pasta, cooked 5 minutes, then drained
- grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in olive oil.
- Pour onions, tomato paste, tomatoes, water, and seasonings into a 3 quart saucepan.
- Stir well.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Brown sausage and add bread crumbs.
- Mix milk and eggs together and add to meat mixture.
- Mix well.
- Stuff each rigatoni with meat mixture.
- Place a layer of rigatoni in 4 quart casserole.
- Pour some of the tomato sauce over noodles and sprinkle with cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
the end result was great, but don't waste your time with the rigatoni, go straight to manicotti, it'll taste the same. I added mozzerella and provolone as well.