Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a killer recipe for stuffed portobellas! Make certain that the croutons are processed to very fine and adjust the cayenne or hot sauce to taste.
Top Review by KaKie
I had to use a great deal of substitutes (regular pork sausage vs. italian, bread crumbs+seasonings vs. croutons, italian blend cheese vs. mozzarella) and they still turned out perfect! Love the recipe!
- 8 large portabella mushrooms (stems removed)
- olive oil
- 907.18 g Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 3 green onions (very finely chopped) or 3 minced yellow onions
- 9.85-19.71 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 0.25 ml dried basil or 9.85 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper or 0.25 ml Tabasco sauce or 0.25 ml louisiana hot sauce
- 14.79 ml minced fresh garlic, to taste or 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 473.18 ml garlic-flavored croutons (ground fine, measure 2 cups after grinding)
- 118.29 ml milk
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- black pepper
- grated mozzarella cheese (use any amount desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of the potobello mushroom caps then sprinkle the inside lightly with salt (this is optional but I most always do!).
- In a skillet brown the sausage meat with green onions crumbling into very small pieces until browned; drain any fat then cool.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs with milk, fresh parsley, basil, fresh garlic, cayenne pepper or hot sauce until well combined.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and the ground croutons starting with about 1-1/2 cups ground croutons, you might have to add in more later; mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add in the cooked sausage/onion mixture; mix well (the mixture should be wet but still firm enough to hold together if the mixture is too soft add in a small amount more of the croutons at a time just until the mixture binds together).
- Season mixture with black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the sausage mixture evenly between the portobella mushroom tops.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the tops with grated mozzeralla cheese.