1/2 Photos of Sausage-Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms With Mozzarella Cheese
This is a killer recipe for stuffed portobellas! Make certain that the croutons are processed to very fine and adjust the cayenne or hot sauce to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large portabella mushrooms (stems removed)
- olive oil
- 2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 3 green onions (very finely chopped) or 3 minced yellow onions
- 2 -4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch dried basil or 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 dash cayenne pepper or 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash louisiana hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic, to taste or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups garlic-flavored croutons (ground fine, measure 2 cups after grinding)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- black pepper
- grated mozzarella cheese (use any amount desired)
- 1Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of the potobello mushroom caps then sprinkle the inside lightly with salt (this is optional but I most always do!).
- 2In a skillet brown the sausage meat with green onions crumbling into very small pieces until browned; drain any fat then cool.
- 3In a medium bowl beat eggs with milk, fresh parsley, basil, fresh garlic, cayenne pepper or hot sauce until well combined.
- 4Add in the Parmesan cheese and the ground croutons starting with about 1-1/2 cups ground croutons, you might have to add in more later; mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- 5Add in the cooked sausage/onion mixture; mix well (the mixture should be wet but still firm enough to hold together if the mixture is too soft add in a small amount more of the croutons at a time just until the mixture binds together).
- 6Season mixture with black pepper to taste.
- 7Spoon the sausage mixture evenly between the portobella mushroom tops.
- 8Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 9Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle the tops with grated mozzeralla cheese.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage-Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms With Mozzarella Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.5
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 125.9 mg
- Sodium 1620.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 29.5 g