Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An interesting side dish
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled, tops and bottoms trimmed
- 3⁄4 lb sausage, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the onions on a baking sheet and bake 1 hour.
- Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven temp to 375°F.
- Scoop out centers of onions, leaving the 3 outer layers intact.
- Fill each onion with sausage.
- Return onions to oven and bake 45 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Will admit that I changed things around when putting together this recipe, but did use all the ingredients! I baked the onions (really large ones) on a baking sheet but covered loosely with some foil, & as I was letting them cool, in a skillet I browned the apple-pork sausage that I'd found at a local market! As soon as the onions were cool enough to handle, I scopped out the centers as per the directions, & filled them with the cooked sausage, heated them in the oven for about 15 minutes before topping them with the cheese & putting them back for a few minutes longer! VERY, VERY NICE! Another great keeper from you, Sam! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
Very tasty indeed. I had an issue with the onions being baked uncovered -- the outer layers dried out. And then in the next step the sausage was trying to dry out on top before the middle was cooked. Perhaps it would be better done in a covered dish? Maybe with a little beef stock in the bottom? I used ordinary breakfast sausage, but it might be even tastier with Italian sausage.