Recipe by Sam #3
An interesting side dish
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Will admit that I changed things around when putting together this recipe, but did use all the ingredients! I baked the onions (really large ones) on a baking sheet but covered loosely with some foil, & as I was letting them cool, in a skillet I browned the apple-pork sausage that I'd found at a local market! As soon as the onions were cool enough to handle, I scopped out the centers as per the directions, & filled them with the cooked sausage, heated them in the oven for about 15 minutes before topping them with the cheese & putting them back for a few minutes longer! VERY, VERY NICE! Another great keeper from you, Sam! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled, tops and bottoms trimmed
- 3⁄4 lb sausage, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the onions on a baking sheet and bake 1 hour.
- Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven temp to 375°F.
- Scoop out centers of onions, leaving the 3 outer layers intact.
- Fill each onion with sausage.
- Return onions to oven and bake 45 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.