Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Prepare twice as many of these as you think you will need. Your guests will gobble them up! They can be prepared one day ahead. Can also be prepared to accompany steak as a side dish.
- 36 medium mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb sausage
- 4 ounces herb stuffing mix, crumb type
- mayonnaise, to moisten
- 1 large onions or 3 green onions, inclluding tops,chopped
- Wash mushrooms.
- Remove stems and chop.
- Brown sausage, stems and onions.
- Drain well.
- Mix sausage mixture ans stuffing with enough mayonnasie to hold together.
- Place caps in baking dish, fill with sausage mixture.
- Cover and chill.
- These can be mae a day ahead.
- At serving time, preheat oven to 450.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Note: To accompany steak, use 8 very large mushrooms.
- Bake 15 minutes.
Excellent! Definitely better than 5 stars. I doubled the recipe, using hot italian sausage, green onions, and the large stuffing mushrooms. I also added finely chopped green bell pepper to the saute mixture. Rave reviews from all 4 guests at dinner.
This is the third time I have made this and it just great.The 1st time I made it I followed the recipe exactly and it was wonderful I used Jimmy Dean Hot sausage.Now the only thing I do different is add fresh garlic to the saute mixture.Everyone that I have prepared this for raves and wants the recipe.Thanks for a great tasting way to fix mushrooms.
I seriously impressed my boyfriend with this recipe. My deviations from the recipe were thus: I used sweet italian sausage, used garlic seasoned bread crumbs because I couldn't find stuffing mix, and added grated gouda cheese. It was AWESOME. Oh, I also added half a package of Knorr onion soup mix just to see what it would be like. It was good but I think it added a bit too much salt. Anyway, thanks for a terrific recipe!