Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are a hit at my annual New Year's Eve Party. Don't forget to add the wine, it adds such great flavor. The recipe was posted in Bon Appetit a number of years ago. These can be assembled the day before and baked right before serving.
- 3 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- olive oil
- 24 large about 2-inch-diameter mixed mushrooms, stemmed
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- SautÃ© sausage, oregano and basil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through and brown, breaking into small pieces with back of fork, about 7 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage mixture to large bowl and cool.
- Mix in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder, then cream cheese.
- Season filling with salt and pepper; mix in egg yolks.
- Brush 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish with olive oil to coat.
- Brush cavity of each mushroom cap with white wine; fill with scant 1 tablespoon filling and sprinkle with some of remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange mushrooms, filling side up, in prepared dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Bake uncovered until mushrooms are tender and filling is brown on top, about 25 minutes.
These were delicious. I made them for Thanksgiving and everyone raved about them. I made exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. I had enough filling for about 30 mushrooms. Make sure the cream cheese is nice and soft, otherwise it can be a little hard to mix in.
Thanks so much for a great recipe!
"if i could give you 100 i would my mom made these and they were the best i ever had". This review came from my son "the wannabechef" and I totally agree! I'm so glad I chose you and your recipe from the orphanage. You should have never been there in the first place. How much they didn't know will be our secret. Bet ya.. They'll all gonna try this!!!! Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Spring2010.
Great stuffed mushrooms! I used garlic and cheese flavored sausages instead of the Italian but followed the rest of the ingredients. The creamy filling is fantastic. We snacked on these watching football today. DH really enjoyed these too. Made for the Herb/Spice of the month in the Gardening Forum!